Historically Modern: Emerald Glass

Monday, February 28, 2011

One my favorite inspirations in design is the inevitable link to the past. Especially since I came into the design world through a degree in the history of decorative art, I am so inspired when I see objects from so long ago which would are so perfectly in style and current today!



I fell in love with the above bowl from the collection of the Corning Museum of Glass; the beautiful translucent deep green glass bowl was created sometime between the 9th and 10th centuries in Western Asia, likely in Iran. I love the scalloped edge, embossed motif featuring birds (also so in right now!) and of course the stunning color. Even though this bowl is at least 1,000 years old it would be amazing in an interior today - just as it is!


Here are a few modern pieces I loved as a way to bring emerald glass into your home - as I am pretty certain the Corning Museum wont be letting this beauty go any time soon!


 I would love to own these elegant emerald Murano glass and brass table lamps! They are Italian, circa 1970. From Amarcord Fine Decorative Antiques via 1stDibs.com.

Kawali green cut glass goblet by Christofle.

This dappled green glass vase is by Venini, available via Michael C. Fina.

Vibrant cut crystal emerald candlesticks from Marvin Alexander Antiques via 1stDibs.com from the late 19th century.


I thought these were an especially wonderful Etsy find! A set of 1950's vintage Anchor + Hocking plates in green glass. They would look great mixed in with a simple white dinnerware set too! From Tinted Vintage in York, PA.

A Boston Goblet by Villeroy and Boch in a lovely shade of green.

Pedestaled vintage candy dish - another great accessory steal on Etsy for just $8! From Easutton Vintage.


And lastly, I had to include this dining room designed by Jay Griffith - the green glass makes the room - oh, and the ibex head and driftwood table is pretty amazing as well! {Photo by Jeremy Samuelson for House Beautiful}.


{First image courtesy of the Corning Museum of Glass}

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan