Optimistically Yellow!

Friday, February 11, 2011

 I just read an interesting article in the New York Times Design section, "Palette of Optimism - Shades of Honey Moon," reporting on a recent national design conference to forecast the color trends for the coming year. In the end, the 175 design industry and color professionals at the Color Marketing Group decided it was to be Honey Moon, a gold-ish, mustard yellow! The explanation was that warm but soft yellow would offer a “grounded hue of optimism,” at a time when “frivolous is out” and “upbeat and realism are in.” I guess bright was just too optimistic with the daily news stories on the economy, climate, and world events :) I am usually adverse to this type of color forecasting since its usually more marketing and sales based than creative and design based but I do certainly agree that color affects our moods! I especially love the warming, positive glow yellows can bring. And while I hope that not every fabric, wall covering, and product in 2011 is Honey Moon, I do love yellow. I prefer a clearer, more vibrant yellow but here I go . . . jumping on the band wagon with a few of my favorite yellow design moments!  
{Above is a Sol LeWitt drawing in a New York townhouse, via Elle Decor}


I especially like the the updated feeling this spot of yellow and white-painted finish give the traditional bed frame, featured in Living Ect. April 2010.

An Eva seeded blown glass table lamp from Pottery Barn - so warm and subtle its really more like amber.


A dreamy terrace in Napa by designer Jean Larette with sunny chairs by Janus et Cie, viaHouse Beautiful. The yellow wildflowers are a great accent!


A lively Carnby porcelain tray by Jonathan Adler. A designer with the tag line 'Happy Chic' certainly knows the positive power of yellows :)

Gold and yellow work together in this mod interior by Eric Hughes, via Elle Decor.

The Fiona chair by Maine Cottage - perhaps the yellow upholstery is too much but overall I love this lacquered wicker look! 

A traditional but energetic Palm Beach entry by designers Lee Bierly and Christopher Drake.

I saved my favorite for last! This is an archival pigment print by photographer Jeremy Kohm, available on 20x200.com.  I love how it captures the old charm of an art deco swimming pool, certainly adding this print to my wish list :) 

Here is full NY Times article! 
Have A Sunny Weekend! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan