The Sala Phuket

Wednesday, February 9, 2011


I love to travel and one of my favorite parts as an interior designer is all the foreign and unique spaces I see abroad. I especially love to see what surprises hotel and restaurant interiors have to offer. While mostly a residential designer, I think the hospitality space gives such fun opportunities for experimentation and is a wonderful place to find inspiration! After all after a few hours or days you can move on!
I recently visited the Sala Phuket and was just crazy for their particular Thai style of comfortable elegance and organic minimalism. The whole resort is clad in grays (often of untreated cement), tans, creams, and whites with pops of their signature purple (a bold but brilliant choice I think!). The hotel was designed by local Thai architects (although sadly I could not locate the firm's name) and the interiors have won the prestigious ASA award (Architectural of Siamese Association). Overall I think the Sala Phuket is great inspiration for less is more - by using clean lines, creative lighting, and a muted color palette, the resort really allows you to enjoy the natural setting! Perfection! Here are few of my favorite bits and pieces but you really should go and see the resort for yourselves. . . 


A totally open air bathroom! So freeing to shower outdoors and happy to say the architects did ensure you had privacy from the other guests! I love the faded gray and white moroccan tiles.



Our own private dipping pool! And note the signature purple garden stool as a side table.


The lighting design was really something special - they strung up these chains of lanterns all over the property. Beautiful at night! 


One of the suites, so breezy and relaxed! The sitting area is done in all shades of gray, cream and white,  yet surprisingly warm. 


The steps are sunken below the water - giving the pool's surface a chic and uninterrupted clean line. What a great idea! 

The gray painted furniture of the outdoor restaurant, with a great floral design in relief on the ceiling! 
 A whimsical statue to guard the restrooms! 

 www.salaresorts.com
{Images are courtesy of Sala Phuket, Architeria.com, and a few of my own too}

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan