Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Chiang Mai Dragon Uncovered



F. Schumacher's Chiang Mai Dragon is one of the most loved {and certainly most blogged about!} patterns in design lately! It's a best seller for the fabric house and comes as either a wall covering or a linen printed fabric. Since its such a design world favorite, I was especially excited for my recent trip to Chiang Mai in the North of Thailand, and wondered if I would find more textiles similar to Schumacher's design or see what inspired it? 


Well, Chiang Mai was absolutely beautiful and it certainly has a rich tradition of textile design and handmade crafts, but nothing which reminded me of this pattern. Originally derived from a lively 1920's Art Deco era block print, I think Chiang Mai Dragon is really a classic example of a Western interpretation of the East! But to be honest, even if its not authentically Thai at all, I still adore it!  It is so decorative, complex and ornamental but yet you feel like you could never get sick of it!


So glam - actress Kristen Bell on her Chiang Mai upholstered ottoman! Featured in InStyle.

Pair of pillow from Plum Cushion, available via Etsy - I covet these! 

Terrific lampshade in the Mocha color way with blue velvet trim! By Spruce Home in Austin, Texas {via Etsy}

{via}

The adorable girls' room of the very talented Jenny of Little Green Notebook!

As wall covering! {via}

Designer Barrie Benson's home - I love it with the orange banquette! {via Domino}

In China Blue

In the Lacquer red color way

What do you think it is about Chiang Mai Dragon that is so appealing and timeless?

xo Allison

5 comments:

The Glam Lamb said...

I really like the blue version. Such a fresh option for such a loved print.

Julie Khuu said...

Pattern on pattern, bold shots of color...what's not to love?? One of my all time faves for sure...really DYING over the wallcovering usage...beautiful, simply stunning!

xo-Julie
Peace. Love. LOL!

Haute Khuuture Blog

Allison Egan said...

Thanks Julie! Love the wall paper too!

Jessie said...

I guess I like the red and blue version. (not the china blue)I think the gorgeous Chiang Mai print looks really engaging and whimsical so I am not surprised it captured the hearts of so many fans! I love it as a wall covering, decorative pillows or curtains.

Good post!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Villa Bisono said...

This is one of my favorite prints as it's so colorful and tells a story! I just found your blog and loving lots of your post.

Hope you can check out mine.

xoxo
Maurenice
www.villa-bisono.com
your newest follower

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...