Cozy Trend Spotting: Bay Blankets

Wednesday, January 4, 2012


Today's wintery design trend: Bay blankets! They were first introduced by the Hudson Bay Company in Canada in 1780 as items to swap with native americans in the fur trade. The varying stripes widths and colors were used to note the size, weight and quality of the blanket. They were soft, warm, and specially woven to withstand the elements. But even if you do not know about the history, these blankets are so warm and campy and inviting! I love them draped on chairs, layered on beds and used as upholstery. . . 








Everything does come back in fashion, but I think these cozy bay blankets never really left!

you can read more about their history here, and get your very own here
{loving that one with one big pink stripe!}

{via 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7}

XOXO
sb signature

5 comments:

anyaadores said...

WOW - I liiiiike them a lot - so cute and stylish,
Axx

Karena said...

Allison, they are not only cozy and warm; also a bright burst of color to brighten cold wintry days!

Happy New Years and All the Best in 2012!

I hope you will come to enter my Giveaway from Serena & Lily!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Leslie said...

I love the chair upholstered in them! That's such a neat idea. You could probably easily do that with a bench too. Lovely!

Erin {House of Turquoise} said...

So cool to know the history behind these awesome blankets! I want one even more now!

Unknown said...

I love the bold striping!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan