Classic Beauties: Black and White Floors

Thursday, July 12, 2012


I know we see it all the time, but I think it is time to give this classic, crisp pattern some love. Black and white checked floors are so versatile, ranging from grand and glamorous to cozy and welcoming. They work in dining spaces, baths, bedrooms and entries and I love the sense of scale and geometry they lend. A true design classic, these floors begin to appear in paintings of European interiors from the Renaissance, but the pattern itself has even older roots in ancient Rome, Egypt and Iran. I especially love the contrast of organic textures and vintage pieces in these spaces! 

Would you ever use this classic check in your home? 







This painted version might be my favorite of all - I love seeing the natural texture of the wood flooring under the uniform squares! {This would be a fantastic DIY for an entry or kitchen}


For you history lovers, this is a wonderful feature on Apartment Therapy with lots more info . . . 


{via 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8.}


sb signature

1 comment:

Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said...

It's a classic that will never go out of style!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan