Design Quandary: Gritty Inspiration?

Tuesday, June 5, 2012


So here is my design question of the day: does great design need grit? After spending over two years living in beautiful but squeaky-clean Singapore, I have a fresh view on the grit of urban life. Sometimes I think the dirt, grit and decay of metropolitan centers is a needed component, or contrast to, beautiful design. Weather its fashion, interiors, architecture or product design, so much great design has been inspired by the streets of Tokyo, New York, Paris, and San Paolo. When I visit other cities now I am struck by the dirt and mess of public spaces, but maybe it's needed to create an inspiring design laboratory! {However, I do appreciate the safe, clean streets here and that you never have to worry about stepping in gum!}
What do you think? Is a little grit inspirational? 




I love this last image, the colors are fantastic and I like the juxtaposition of the geometric forms and the curvy graffiti lettering surrounding it.


{via 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 }

sb signature

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I am not a huge fan of the grit, but those images are beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan